A strong musty smell of rotten eggs coming from your water can be an indication of hydrogen sulphide. This can be easily removed by treating your water with our odour removal systems.
Hydrogen Sulphide Removal Filter System
Hydrogen Sulphide (H2S) is a gas, which if dissolved in water smells like rotten eggs. In some cases, the odour may be noticeable only when the water is initially turned on or when hot water is running.
Hydrogen sulphide gas produces an offensive rotten egg smell or sulphur odour and taste in water. Heat forces the gas into the air, which may cause the odour to be especially offensive in a shower.
The presence of hydrogen sulphide occurs in well water which also contain appreciable levels of iron and/or manganese, or that has a low pH level. A full water test is always advisable.
Hydrogen sulphide gas or sulphur bacteria in your water can cause other problems:
- Sulphur bacteria produce a slime and can promote the growth of other bacteria, such as iron bacteria. The slime can clog wells, plumbing and irrigation systems. Bacterial slime may be white, grey, black or reddish-brown if associated with iron bacteria.
- Hydrogen sulphide gas can cause black stains on silverware and plumbing fixtures.
- Hydrogen sulphide gas can corrode pipes and other metal components of the plumbing.
Removing Hydrogen Sulphide and Sulphur Bacteria From Water
- The source of the gas is important when providing the correct treatment options for odour removal.
PLUMBING, WELLS OR WATER SOFTENERS
For Sulphur Bacteria that are in present wells, plumbing or water softener:
- Disinfect the well and plumbing by flushing with a strong chlorine solution, which is called shock chlorination.
- Sulphur bacteria can be difficult to remove once established in a well. You may need to scrub the well casing by using special treatment chemicals, and agitate the water to remove the bacteria before disinfection.
- If the bacteria is in the water, you should contact the manufacturer or the installer to find out how to disinfect the treatment devices.
If hydrogen sulphide gas is in the groundwater, you can install one of the following water treatment systems:
This is only effective for low hydrogen sulphide levels, usually less than 1 mg/L (milligram per litre). The gas is trapped by the carbon until the filter is saturated. Since the carbon filter can remove substances in addition to hydrogen sulphide gas, it is difficult to predict how long it will last. Some large carbon filters have been known to last for years, while some small filters may last for only weeks or even days.
Effective for hydrogen sulphide levels up to and exceeding 6 mg/L. These systems utilise a chemical feed pump to inject an oxidising chemical, like chlorine, into the water supply line prior to a storage or mixing tank. When sufficient contact time is allowed, the oxidising chemical changes the hydrogen sulphide to sulphur, which is then removed by a particle filter, like a manganese greensand filter. Excess chlorine can be removed by an activated carbon filter.
In some cases, the problem may only be eliminated by drilling a new well in a different place or connecting to an alternative water source if available. Please contact One Eight Filtration today for your odour removal issues.